You probably know us best from our iconic brands like Tennent’s lager and Magners Cider, but it might surprise you to know that we’re also Scotland’s biggest drinks wholesaler. We have seven distribution depots across Scotland that collectively service thousands of pubs, clubs, hotels and restaurants across the country. We don’t just provide them with our own products. We provide them with a ‘One Stop Shop’ offering a full range of branded beers, ciders, wines, spirits and dry goods.
The Distribution teams are looking for two Freight Distribution Apprentices to join our depots at either Cambuslang or Irvine. These training places are for brand new entrants to the world of Warehousing and Distribution.
So what’s involved?
You’ll start out getting an overview of our whole Logistics operation, and once you have a good feel for things, you'll have the option to focus on one of two career paths:
Warehousing, Storage and Distribution SVQ
- Learning key warehouse process including goods in and out and stock management
- Accurate picking and checking of stock
- Efficently assembling customer orders and loading vehicles for dispatch
- Warehouse health and safety
- Opportunity to gain a Forklift Truck licence
Driving Goods Vehicle SVQ
- Working as a drivers mate - delivering goods to customers including unloading into cellars
- Working safely and efficiently to ensure goods arrive on time and in full
- Delivering excellent customer services and resolving customer queries
- Opportunity to gain an HGV licence
Both routes will allow you to gain key skills in communication, problem solving, technology and numeracy.
Most of your learning will happen on the job, but you’ll also be working towards a qualification. After 2 years, we hope that you’ll then move into a permanent role in the depot, and continue to develop and grow your career with us.
What you’ll need:
- A good academic background – You probably enjoyed maths and technical subjects at school, and have good problem solving skills.
- Good written and spoken English.
- A genuine interest in developing a career in distribution.
- Some experience in life, school or employment that demonstrates your ability to live our four ‘T’ values – Tenacious (determination to make things happen), Trusted (people know they can rely on you to get things done), Tempted (curiosity and confidence to try new ways of working), True (respect and care for your team-mates).
- Our depots operates on a shift pattern, so you’ll need flexibility to work on early, back shift and occasionally on Saturdays.
- Due to the nature of this role you will need to be at least 18 years old by your start date.
While you’re training, you’ll receive £9.00 per hour, working c.37.5 hours a week (c.£17,550 per year), as well as a fully funded qualification. We’ll provide you with a pension, and give you 28 days holiday a year. You’ll also get a range of other benefits, including a product allowance that includes your choice of soft drinks, water, beer, cider and wine.
Send us a CV that demonstrates your interest in freight distribution and any relevant work or educational experience. We’re aiming to hold an assessment day on in April, and hope to have our new apprentices start work in early July.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 24th March.